Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Day 12: Paris

Remember that time I went to Paris in 2012? Yeah, I don't remember either =P Warning, this is a wordy post.

My second day in Paris was low key. My only goal was to roam around the city shopping and dining only at local establishments.

They day started off damp. My first stop was Merci, in the Le Marais district. A friend recommended this place to me and promised that I would not be disappointed. I wasn't, not one bit. At the front, you'll find a cute and bustling coffee shop that also serves small plates. The heart of the building is 3 floors of shopping. You'll find everything from clothing and accessories to furniture and housewares. I fell hard for a set of grey dishes (I still dream about them). On the bottom floor, next to random kitchen gadgets is an open restaurant. I knew it existed, but I couldn't figure out  how to get to it when I first arrived, so I ended up grabbing a bite to eat upstairs at the coffee shop.

Here's a hint, do not ever ask for soy milk in Paris (or France for that matter). You'll get laughed into oblivion. I was pretty sure the answer was "no", but I asked just to be sure. My server giggled and told me no. Then she was surprised when I told her that I'd take my espresso straight up.


Soup du jour: Carrot, and an espresso.
'EAT ME' had me giggling. 

After lunch and a small purchase (mydrap napkins), I headed out into the rain to my next destination, Le Petit Atelier de Paris, cute shop featuring handmade ceramic goods from local artisans. If you can't make it there in person, they have an online shop: http://lamaisondepompon.bigcartel.com/. Unfortunately an online purchase means that you don't get to play with their adorable Shiba! He ran over to greet me as soon as I began to push the door open to enter the store.

I wanted to buy one of everything, but I didn't think that it would survive the trip back home. I ended up with a small keepsake pendant. I realize that it's a bit juvenile after I got it home, OK, it's REALLY juvenile, but I still like it!


How cute is this packaging?
The details kills me.


On my way back to the subway station, I wandering about the neighborhood a bit, stopping in a small creperie. I'm pretty darn proud that I ordered completely in French! Two flubs happened. The first came when I asked for water and my server asked if I wanted tap water or bottled water. I think she asked this one or that one. Good thing pointing is universal. The second time was when she asked me if she had given me my change. I thought she was asking if I wanted to order anything else. OOPS!

Random (kinda creepy) water fountain display. (HTC Incredible)

The next stop on my shopping expedition was to Sabre. This is practically Heaven for food stylists. They have the cutest kitchenware I have ever laid eyes on. (Anthropologie had some awhile back.) I got in just moments before closing, but shop keepers were really nice and friendly. Probably because they could tell I was a foreigner and was about to drop some serious cash. I only wished that they would ship to the USA or open a store here. What I wouldn't do for a set of polka dot dishes!

The rain let up and I was able to spend the rest of the day wandering about on foot. Here are some random sightings on my way home:
celio...I would have gone in if I'd seen women's wear in their windows. (HTC Incredible)
Ridiculous Hermes window display. (HTC Incredible)

My exploration ended with quick peek in to Le Bon Marche. I equate this to a Barney's type of place. Nice items, but a too spendy for souvenirs, even for myself. And my accident, I stumbled across a foodie paradise: La Grande Epicerie! It's a like Disney World crossed with a candy store filled with delicious, delicious food. I can't even tell you how much time I spent just staring (and contemplating) at the La Fermiere yogurt section. I may or may not have walked away with a basket full of yogurt.

PSA: If you haven't had French yogurt, you are missing out. It is nothing, NOTHING! like the stuff here. The stuff here is crap in comparison. French yogurt is all natural, pectin free, extremely low in sugar, thick, smooth, and it comes in the cutest glass or terra cotta jars! Oh my god, I'm drooling just thinking about it. The orange blossom honey by La Fermerie and the lemon by Le Petit Basque are my favorites of all time. The lemon was so good that I didn't even realize that it was sheeps milk yogurt.


Previously:
Day 11: Versailles
Day 10: Edinburgh/Paris
Day 9: Edinburgh
Day 8: London/Edinburgh
Day 7: London
Day 6: London
Day 5: London/Greenwich
Day 4: London
Day 3: London
Day 2: Cambridge/London
Day 1: London
Day 1: London - prefunc

*All photos taken by me with Nikon D7000 unless noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment