Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Day 11: Versailles

I never thought that I would be back in Paris after my [first] visit in 2005. It was a whirlwind of a trip. In 2 or 3 days, I saw practically everything listed in the guidebooks: Mona Lisa in the Louvre  walked down Champs Elysees, took in Notre Dame, walked along the Seine, saw the Eiffel Tower, saw the Arc deTriomphe, etc. (I say saw, because that's what I did. I was too dumb at the time to realize that you could go up to the top of the Arc de Triomphe!) Anyways, seeing as how Jake has already been, I took this opportunity to go back with one very specific goal in mind. To visit the Palace of Versailles!

I woke up to see the Po-Po downstairs. Lovely! Instagram @hungc

So before we get on with the photos, you have to check out the map of the estate. It is pretty ridiculous. I covered quite a bit of it, but could have easily spent my entire day there if it hadn't been for the cold wind. 

Palace of Versailles.
An empty hall inside the palace. If only the rest of my tour was like this.
The Hall of Mirrors and a shit ton of tourists. Not shown, the hoards of school children and overseas tourist groups.

Floor to ceiling windows opposite the wall of mirrors. Also a selfie to prove that I was there. 
Can you imagine waking up to this? View from Marie-Antoinette's room. 
Marie-Antoinette's bedroom. Either the lower half of the room was behind a wall or I choose to shoot above the hoards of people.
(I was seriously hiding in the corner by the window listening to my audio guide.)
The ridiculous gardens: Latone Fountain (closest), Apollo Fountain (middle), and the Grand Canal.
Somewhere in the gardens and groves.
Making my way across the estate to the Grand Trianon with a ham sandwich (ham on baguette) in hand. 
Grand Trianon (the summer palace): hall that echos the Hall of Mirrors, without all the mirrors. 
Pretty pink marble pillars.
Queen's Hamlet: The Marlborough Tower
The Queen's Hamlet: The Farm





The Queen's Hamlet: The Farm
Tree somewhere on the estate, probably close to the Petit Trianon. (Sorry, no pictures of the Petit Trianon, I got lazy.)


My number 2 goal on this trip was to get myself some Laduree macrons. There just happened to be a boutique at the palaceFunny story, there were 6 college aged girls (either American or Canadian) in front of me. They were trying to pool their money together and make a purchase. After much discussion, they agreed to split a box of 18. I ordered the same box, the Bonaparte assortment (and also the last one!). That's right, I had all 18 to myself. Mission accomplished. I am very proud to say that I was able to order it completely in French without hesitation or stuttering. 

Laduree Bonaparte assortment.   
Latone Fountain
Orangery and Swiss Lake.
The South Wing of the Palace.
Dinner - take out from Sushi Shop, I think this was a spicy salmon roll.
Sashimi!


Previously:
Day 10: Edinburgh/Paris
Day 9: Edinburgh
Day 8: London/Edinburgh
Day 7: London
Day 6: London
Day 5: London/Greenwich
Day 4: London
Day 3: London
Day 2: Cambridge/London
Day 1: London
Day 1: London - prefunc

*All photos taken by me with Nikon D7000 unless noted.

1 comment:

  1. Yo, We're about to go for the first time in May this year! Nikki has been reading up on so many things about Paris and Versailles. We also want to go to Laduree! I'll check out your blog to get some tips!

    Hope you're doing well.

    Vinh

    ReplyDelete