Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Jill and her hats

I have worn many different hats as an engaged woman these past 20-ish months. I have been a webmaster. A baker. A florist. A bridesmaid. A craft guru. A graphic designer. A publisher. And most recently, I have been a photographer. Man, with a resume like this, I could be a one-woman-wedding show. *disclaimer, the rest of this post may sound a little narcissistic.*

Val asked if I would take photos at their wedding rehearsal. She was looking for someone to take photos from say a groomsman's girlfriend's point-of-view. I was completely caught off guard, but completely humbled by the request. Seriously, what an honor! I still cannot believe they entrusted such an important event in their lives into my hands. Yes, I know a rehearsal is not as big of a show as THE wedding, but come on, how many rehearsals do you have?

Me being me, took this "job" with utmost seriousness and professionalism. So much so that I borrowed some kick ass lenses from my boss. Let me tell you, I was so nervous that I was shaking when I got started. Not to mention, I misjudged traffic on a Friday and arrived just in the nick of time. It took me some time to get used to the new lens, to figure out lighting, and what angles to get. Just to make sure that I had at least one good photo, I shot on continuous mode. I think I was able to manage to snap a few good ones.

One funny thing, I think a few folks might have been surprised by the big lens I was toting. There are a couple of funny looks the wedding party shot me...on camera ;) I just told them to roll with it and that they were practicing for the real deal when there would be at least 2 cameras. By the end of the night, all of us were pros around the camera.

I would never consider myself proficient in portrait photography, but I think the stars were aligned just right and were rooting for me that night. It also helped that I had ridiculously good looking subjects surrounding me. Here are what I think are the best of the bunch:

Bride and her mom. I LOVE their facial expressions.

The ridiculously gorgeous bride and groom.

Bridesmaid and her fiance. They are getting married the day before us!
I cannot begin to tell you how shocked I am at this photo.
It doesn't hurt that they are a gorgeous couple, too.

Come on...you know I am going to shoot food when there is food.

Cake made by the groom's cousin. Chocolate cake covered with Ring Dings (Ding Dongs)
and Yodels (Ho Hos); favorites of the Groom. Wait, maybe those are Hostess Cupcakes...
 
 
Bestman and girlfriend. See that shadow on the lower edge (center)?
Yea, stupid me, I had the flash on AND the hood on the lens.
I think Photoshop can fix it though ;)

Groom's parents. See her glasses, no glare! And I had the flash on!
I am beyond amazed that there is no glare. I also love how the wall sconce lights up her hair.  

Maid of Honor and Bridesmaid. They had me cracking up all night. 

And my favorite photo of all (I took 933 photos). LOVE. THIS.

Wedding photography is hard people. There is a reason why they charge lots of dinero. You get one shot and only one shot. You have to capture it all and capture it it well. I still have a lot to learn, but I have a new found respect for the wedding industry.

P.S. Val and Matt - if you haven't looked at the photos on the DVDs yet, don't bother ;)

3 comments:

  1. Oh! And the cake was from Matt's cousin, since Matt loves those desserts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH.MY.
    (I haven't looked at the DVD yet).
    I am in AWE. That first picture made me tear up!!! SO happy that moment is captured (and that we walked slow enough in the rehearsal for it to BE captured ;)). I love them all. We were honored to have you there and have you take that time to do this for us. THANK YOU. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still in awe. I look at the photos every couple of weeks and say "damn, thems is very nice" (in my Borat voice). Is that wierd?

    ReplyDelete