Monday, May 16, 2011

Digital Camera 1: Assignment 4

Week #4's lecture focused on shutter speed. Your camera has a shutter that opens and closes. Think of shutter speed as the ability to control motion. The faster the shutter speed, the better you can freeze motion. Slower shutter speeds (assuming that the camera is stationary), will capture motion.

Here are two classic examples. The first, a bird in flight/motion (I'm not really sure if it is landing or getting ready to scoop up prey). In this photo, the bird is "frozen" by capturing it at a super fast shutter speed. In the second photo, the blur of traffic lights is achieved with a slow shutter speed.

via best-camer-or-best-pictures.com

via homephotog.com

For my homework, I tried to stay with the food/baking theme and played with my mixer. I was not focused on getting an artsy photo, but rather just stopping motion. I was able to do it, but it was not easy. What I did not mention above is that with quicker shutter speeds, it allows less light into the camera. In low light conditions (my kitchen afer sun down), you may not get the photo you want. In these cases, you can a) bring in light sources or use a flash or b) come back another time to take the photo.

In case you are wondering, that is swiss buttercream in the bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment