Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Digital Camera 1: Assignment 6

Lenses and white balance. Both topics are pretty self explanatory. OK maybe lenses are not really self explanatory. There are different types. Some work with most camera bodies, some will only partially work, and some not at all. Lens focal distances work differently depending if you have a pro or an entry level camera body. Lenses are for the most part interchangeable between bodies (research will tell you that it is not the camera body that is important, but rather one should sink money into the lenses). One difference when using a pro lens on an entry consumer body, is that there is a crop factor to contend with (in addition to potentially not being able to auto focus). I'm not going to go into the nitty-gritty. But the photo below gives you a general idea of what I am trying to convey. The red box shows what a full frame lens/body would see. The blue box shows what happens when you take a pro lens and put it on a camera that does not have a full sensor frame (full being the equivalent of a 35mm camera).

via Wikipedia.

For white balance, we went over the different settings that are available in addition to AUTO. Just a handful of choices include: cloudy, shade, tungsten, and fluorescent compensation. Auto does a fantastic job with natural light (in and outdoors in my experience). However, mixed lighting conditions are tricky. In each case, your camera will add the complementary color in order to achieve true white.

For this assignment we were to do our best to shoot on manual mode and to also play with the white balance options. I didn't have a chance to get out and shoot. I don't think we've had an uneventful weekend to ourselves in a long while. Anyways, instead, I picked through my old photos since I used to shoot on manual mode. Ha, yeah, I didn't really know what I was doing back then. I would do a test shot and then change my ISO, aperature, and/or shutter speed to get the photo I wanted. I would also say to myself, "that's close enough, I can Photoshop it later." Unfortunately, when I shot in manual mode, I left the white balance option on auto.

You may recognize these photos from our February 2011 trip to Oregon.



No comments:

Post a Comment