Friday, June 24, 2011

Western traditions - nixed

Weddings, whether Western or Chinese, can be very cookie cutter. Jake and I are a strange compilation of modern with a touch of tradition. When it comes to our wedding, there are just some things that we are completely doing away with.

via life.health.wellness.

Nay to being married in the bride's hometown.
This is an outdated tradition. I think it stems from the fact that the brides parents used to pay for the shindig and she was leaving her parents home. It probably would have been a helluva lot cheaper if we were doing this in Oregon. Most of my friends would get to visit their families in traveling for the wedding and save money by staying with them. BUUUUT it probably would have been a GIANT pain in the butt to try and plan a wedding 3,000 miles away. And most importantly, there is no way Grandma can make that flight.

Nay to "Something old, something new. Something borrowed, something blue. And a silver sixpence in her shoe."
I am far too lazy to type out what each item is supposed to symbolize, but basically each is supposed to bring the bride luck. Almost everything I will be wearing will be new. I am still deciding on jewelry, so there maybe something old there. But it does not matter to me at all. I am all about the overall look, not fulfilling poems.

Nay to the father-daughter dance.
I can hear you gasping. Look, my dad does not dance. I do. He does not want to stress out about learning. I do not want him to stress out. AND I have always been a super independent kid. You are just going to have to get over the fact that there will be no emotional father-daughter moment on the dance floor. Silver lining; you get the 3 minutes to dance to an extra song at the end of the night.

Nay to cake cutting/feeding.
I am sure that there is a purpose and symbolism that goes with this tradition. I am a big girl and I do not need help eating cake. I can feed myself just fine. In the words of Jake, I am kind of a piggy when it comes to food. I would probably just end up eating his bite. I also do not like sharing my food with Jake? Or anyone for that matter. One last thing, we ain't serving cake. GASP!!!!

Nay to the bouquet toss.
Ugh, I hate this more than anything at weddings. Please put a giant bulls eye on me that screams "SINGLE". I went to a wedding once. I think there were only 3 single girls, maybe 2. I was one of them. I got up and went to the bathroom just before the bouquet toss started. Apparently, they had the DJ call out for me. OOPS, missed the whole thing (THANK GOD).

Nay to the garter toss.
One word: Embarrassing! Not to mention, we only have a handful of single guys on our guestlist. There are a few more but I am not counting them as they are in long term committed relationships. It is just a matter of time before they join the club.

Nay to the sweetheart table.
this isn't really a tradition, but I thought I would throw it into the mix. We have a lifetime to dine alone. I am too cheap to rent an extra table and pay for the linens that must go on it. We will be surrounded by family and friends. Neither one of us wants to be separated from any of them. Instead of a sweetheart table or a king's table, we will be seated with our immediate family. I think it is a nice touch, the two families joining together, dine together. Our wedding party members will be seated with their significant others and spread out with their respective friends.

Did you decided against "traditional" elements?

56 days.

2 comments:

  1. I seriously doubt the garter/bouquet toss is fun for ANYONE. Who enjoys that????

    ReplyDelete
  2. i say Yay to all your Nay's!!! If they aren't 'you' then you shouldn't have them! We said nay to all of the above as well, except the father/daughter dance... and as you know we inserted the slide show to make it less boring for guests :) And I agree with Valery - how awkward is the garter/bouquet toss??? I'm proud of you for making it your own... so many fantastic touches, no one will even notice your 'nays'!

    ReplyDelete