Sunday, June 26, 2011

Red dress - almost there

We are so, so, so very close to the end with this dress!

I had two fittings in one week. It isn't the norm, but due to circumstances, we had to squeeze in a second one. Why? Well, funny story. On the afternoon of my scheduled fitting, Barbara was with her daughter when someone rear ended her daughter's car. The car was towed to the repair shop WITH the skirt of my dress in the trunk! We continued with my fitting, but only working with the top of the my dress.

I'll be honest. I didn't really know how I felt about it. I was pretty indifferent. We made a couple of key decisions. The piping color. We discussed where the piping would go, but ultimately we needed the skirt for the full picture. We worked out the arm hole sizing. And also the placement of the zipper.

A few days later, I went back. This time I saw the entire thing for the first time. I went up to the top of the stairs of Barbara's apartment like I always did. Turned the corner and walked into her sewing room. That's when I saw it. My dress on the dress form. All I could do was say "oh my god" a few times over.

I.LOVE.IT. Thank goodness the wedding isn't too far away, otherwise it would take a lot of self control not to wear it around the house pre-wedding when I finally get it in my hands.

For this fitting we focused on the fit of the dress and some minor details. A few more adjustments were needed in the bodice to accentuate my waist (aka, give the illusion that I have a waist). I decided to change the fabric on the waistband from the skirt fabric to the silk brocade. There was just barely enough material  left over. AND. We measured me for pockets! POCKETS! Well, it wasn't an exact measurement. Both Barbara and I had completely forgotten that I had requested them in the very beginning/ Good thing she reviewed the contract. Lastly, we dicussed potentially adding a light petticoat to give the skirt just a little bit more oomph. This would also help give me hips, too ;) The petticoat would be an added extra, but at this stage in the game. I just need it to happen.

I get to see it all sewn up and a couple steps away from completion next week!

OK, I suck at keeping secrets, so here is a sneak peak....

I have no idea what we are discussing here.

54 days.

Previously:

1 comment:

  1. WEEE!!!! THAT LOOKS AWESOME. I can't wait to see it all!!! Also, yay for remembering about pockets!

    ReplyDelete