Friday, April 2, 2010

Two Metathesiophobics in a Pod

Metathesiophobia, as defined by Wikipedia is:
the persistent, abnormal, and unwarranted fear of change. Symptoms usually include shortness of breath, rapid breathing, sweating, nausea, irregular heartbeat, and overall feelings of dread.
While those symptoms do not apply to us, both Jake and I dislike change. It's not to say that we stay stagnant, we just don't embrace change with open arms.

When we moved in together, I decided that we should save money and just to work with whatever we had between the two of us in terms of decor. But the time has come for some changes. I'm not talking about anything too dramatic, just small things here and there that look amazing.

First up, Jake's office. Jake outgrew his bookshelves long ago. When I first met him, his book collection spilled out of the bookshevles and onto the floor. There were book piles all over the place. When we were both living in Boston, I ended up giving him one of my bookshelves to use.


Onto the guest/my office/wedding crap room. Sorry, I forgot to take a "before" picture. Don't worry, you aren't missing out on anything, it was just a rectangular card table with a bunch of crap on it.  I thought the new set up would give me more surface area and empty cubbies to stash stuff, I guess I have more crap that I thought. Maybe I should get rid of some of those textbooks...


Hallway. Whoohoo, finally got the stuff off the floor on to the walls! Hey I got stuff onto the wall, doesn't mean that I have pictures in all of the frames.


Dining room. My cookbooks are now easily accessible, not that I actually use them regularly.


Bedroom. With the blinds and curtains pulled shut, our room looked dark and gothic with all the red and black. I wanted something bright and cheery. I used the red curtains behind the bookcase in Jake's office to hide the cardboard boxes and put up the white ones I had stashed in the closet.


Isn't that the cutest? I love the birds. I figure if I'm not going to incorporate them into our wedding, I can have them on our bed.

Yeup, all the bookshelves are the same and from Ikea. I heart Ikea! I'd been eyeing these suckers for over a year. The price dropped and we went in for the kill. We looked into the cost of shipping since neither of us drives a car big enough to pick up more than one at a time. Let me just say that the shipping cost more than the bookshelves! I went with the U-haul route. $20 for 4 hours (or 24 hours if you pick it up after 3pm), $0.59/mile for the first 100 miles, plus the cost of gas was $60 cheaper than delivery! Done. My first car was a Chrysler Grand Voyager LE --> GIANT van. I had nicknamed it the Shitmobile until my 4 year old brother started saying "Sissy drives the shitmobile." It was then changed to the Cacamobile. Anyways, the point here is that driving a large cargo van wasn't going to be an issue. Jake had NEVER been to Ikea prior to this trip. To save his sanity, I chose to go later in the day so avoid the crowds and make his experience more enjoyable. Guess what, they only had ONE bookshelf left by the time we got there (we wanted 4)! There is good news, they were getting a new shipment first thing in the morning and we had the van until 3pm the next day. So we ended up going back first thing the next morning to get the other 3. In the end, we only saved $20, but we got meatballs and new shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment