Friday, July 8, 2011

My first tornado

I'm interrupting the constant stream of wedding updates to talk about something bigger and hopefully selfless. On June 1st, multiple tornadoes touched down and tore the western part of the state into shreds. I didn't even know that it was in the forecast. I was completely self absorbed in wedding crap or one of my other many first world problems. I don't think I even knew about the aftermath until DAYS after when I finally turned on the tv to hear about the devastation. 

Members of my company banded together and gave back to the community. We rolled up our sleeves. We revved up chainsaws. We brought in front loaders (yes, one person brought their front loader, thank goodness). We spread out in teams across different locations. And we made a difference.

It was a great afternoon out of the office. We built connections with folks that we don't normally work with. We applied teamwork We helped people.

Photos from a backyard in Southbridge, MA.

That pile of rubbish used to be a shed.
 
Before the devastation, the trees were so thick that you
couldn't see the neighbors on the other side of the creek.





*All photos taken by me*

No comments:

Post a Comment