Thursday, April 7, 2011

Milestone: cinematographer

I'm sure you all remember my melt down here. I would like to take a moment to thank you all for being so nice. None of you called me out on being such a bitchzilla/bridezilla. Let's be honest, I sounded like a whiny little brat, "woah-is-me, nothing is going my way." I am a very detail oriented person, but there is no excuse. Just goes to show you that one should not blog while in a heightened emotional state.

Moving on. I started my search for a videographer on Thursday, March 17. I found them less than 24 hours later on Friday, March 18. But me being me, did not book immediately. I wanted to see what else was out there and compare prices. However, I did book 10 days later on Monday, March 28. 

Let me back up first. I just said videographer, but the title says cinematographer. Here is a quick vocab lesson. Videography - simply put, is the act of capturing moments on film. Cinematography is the art of capturing moments (and feelings) and presenting them in a movie-like experience. I always knew that I wanted a cinematic film, I just did not know that there was a term for it. Don't get me wrong, there are some great videographers out there that have a cinematic flair. 

Back to the search. It was a long shot. Video is one of those things you should book early, like your photographer and your venue. I got a lot of "sorry, but we are already booked." I even started thinking out side of the box, to Florida. I enlisted the help of my photographer's wife, Lucia. That woman is amazeballs. I've said it before and I'll be saying it to the end of time. She sent me a complete list of her favorites around the country in addition to suggestions from FL as well as the passing along the video vendor their last Boston couple used.

In my search, I was smitten with three cinematographers:
While Monachetti and Focal Point were unavailable, Boston Wedding Films (I will refer to them as BWF from here on out) were!!!

My engineering nerdiness came full out during my chat with BWF. I asked specifically about the equipment they used. Most wedding videos are now taken on dSLRs, not those giant camcorders that I remember seeing as a kid. I asked how they did the awesome sweeping motions that are as smooth as butter. I asked them how they did the super cool defocusing to focusing shots. As it turns out, with the advent of dSLRs, it means they use the same lenses as a photographer would, giving them tons of artistic options. 

BFW instantly picked up that I understood what dSLRs were and how different lenses worked to give different depth of focus and light sensitivity (aka no, or very little, on camera lighting required). We chatted for an hour about this and that. We probably could have talked forever. Honest truth, I couldn't stop thinking about the conversation I had with them. We just "clicked." BWF is VERY passionate about what they do. They pride themselves on quality, consistency, and the art of capturing a moment that cannot be repeated. Seriously, can you tell that I'm smitten by them?

Meet our cinematographers:

via Boston Wedding Films.

You have no idea how relieved I am to have this item checked off. We will have the video of my dreams. I cannot wait to get started! Also, I'm completely humbled that not only are they shooting our wedding, but they WANTED to shoot our wedding (aka, I wanted them as bad as they wanted me). I think this union was meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment