Friday, August 13, 2010

Put a Ring on it

I haven't had a chance to share our adventures in Oregon just yet, but I do want to talk about one of the wedding related items we did while we were on vacation. Yeah, I know, vacation and wedding planning do not belong in the same sentance, but we were in Oregon and Oregon = no sales tax!

We stopped by Shane Co. on a whim. I figured it couldn't hurt to just take a quick look around. Jake and I hate, HATE, pushy sales people. Let me tell you, Shane Co. people are the type of people we like! They let us peruse to our hearts content and then asked when we were ready for help! On top of that, there was ZERO sales pitch. Our consultant, Michelle, was awesome. It was a bit amusing to us when she saw my ring. She must have thought that we were just some young kids messing around in the store. Her eyes almost popped out of her head when I showed her my ring. Yep, Jake did a good job on it.

We started by checking out bands for Jake. As it turns out he just wants a plain band, just like his dad. Standard men's bands are 6mm to 7mm wide. Jake has smallish fingers and wanted something thinner. As it turns out, the 3mm band was too thin. The 4 mm band was still just a touch too thin. The 5 mm band was a touch on the wider side, but OK. 

(Visual sizing is more than likely inaccurate. Images from Shane Co. edited by me)

I asked Michelle if they had something in a 4.5mm. What do you know, the 4.5 looked pretty darn good. The ring is a different style, European fit as opposed to the comfort fit above.
Jake's potential precious. (Image from Shane Co.)

Next, we checked out potential bling for me. If you don't know, I'm one of those people that knows exactly what I want. Sometimes I can't articulate it and sometimes I plain just don't know until I see it (case in point, my wedding gown). With my wedding band, I've known [since getting my e-ring] that I want a channel set band with princess cut diamonds, and not an eternity band. The problem has been in finding one that is small enough. GASP! Yes, I said small enough. My e-ring is pretty loud on it's own. Neither one of us wants something that will compete with it or overshadow it. In addition, I also want it low profile so that it sits flush with my e-ring to avoid rubbing into the prongs. Shane Co. delivered!
My potential precious! (Image from Shane Co.)

I'm sure this looks like a lot of wedding bands that are out there, but believe me when I say that I'm picky and none of them, previous to this one, was it. We walked away that day without making a purchase. We still have a year to go, no rush. But we left with pretty good ideas on what we were looking for. Don't worry, I have Michelle's contact information ;)

Funny story, while we were looking for my band, I had one on each side of my e-ring for comparison. Jake was afraid that I was going to want 2 bands! Not a bad idea! My friend Amy has already dubbed it the "Hug" and is waiting for her 5th anniversary to get her second band.

1 comment:

  1. My name is Chris Jones with Shane Co. and I just wanted to say thanks so much for stopping by while you were in Oregon. If there is anything that we can do to help, please let us know. Good luck with all the wedding planning!

    ReplyDelete