Tuesday, June 8, 2010

May I have this dance?

I came across this video not long after we got engaged. The couple, obviously pros in the swing [dancing] circuit, is dancing the Lindy Hop. EPIC first dance if you ask me.



Oh how this makes me miss dancing. After taking my first ballroom class in college at the urging of a friend, I was hooked. I took every class possible (and some twice). When I was away from school during my internships, I would take group lessons at local dance studios. Somewhere along the lines, I got it in my head that I wanted to dance competitively in Dance Sport. It took seven years of dancing and thousands of dollars spent on workshops, group and private lessons to learn that I have a nasty case of stage fright. I still love dancing, just not when the spot lot on me. Hmmm, this is going to make our first dance interesting.

Many years ago, I thought that I would dance something fierce at my wedding. Unfortunately for me (fortunately for Jake), we won't be doing the Lindy for our first dance. BUT. Yes, there's a but. We won't disappoint. Jake came out of his "cave" (aka office) one day, took my hand, and proceeded to show me a few steps of my favorite dance he had learned from online videos. Can you say "aaaaawwwwwwwwww"?

Random Fact: I took a Lindy Hop workshop from Frankie Manning himself!

1 comment: