Tuesday, February 15, 2011

2 miles of twine

Oh bakers twine, your presence has swept through a new generation of crafters in the wedding world as well as crafting in general. People have found a new use for you, that is so much more than just being wrapped around a box of baked goods. You are so main stream that even Crate and Barrel sells you. And here's the kicker, you come in more than just 3 colors now (red and white, blue and white, white).

Bakers twine and I go way back. Try a year. I saw an image of bakers wrapped around a box and just like that, I had to have it for our wedding.

via Style Me Pretty

I'll have you know that I'm not just following a trend, but rather it makes sense, I'm a baker! But a year ago while folks in the wedding world were purchasing a product called Divine Twine, I didn't. Not because I didn't want to, but because they only carried 3 colors at the time and red was not one of them!!! I researched high and low, I even thought that I'd try and wait for Divine Twine to release new colors, but at that time, they weren't. I found red and white bakers twine...A LOT of it for cheap. I mulled over it for awhile, 3400 yards (yes 3400 YARDS!) was a lot of twine. It was only $9 ($17 after shipping). But what if the red wasn't as red as I'd like? What if the white wasn't really white? Well it's not even $20 and I'll just use it to wrap up boxes of cupcakes, right? So I pulled the trigger and ordered it.

via We Sell Coffee

Damn that's a lot of freaken twine. But guess what, it looked dirty (at least I thought so at the time). So I went back to Etsy, where I had originally started my search. I struck up a conversation with MyFriendAmy. Before you knew it she sent me a small sample. It was brighter! It looked so much better than the commercial stuff I purchased in bulk. I proceeded to clean Amy out of her red and white bakers twine stock, 200 yards. She sent in in the cutest little box.

personal photo

At last, I had my twine. Get this, months later, Divine Twine releases new colors...red being one of them. What. The. Crap.

Fast forward to last night, we received the cutest wedding invitation wrapped in twine, twine from Divine Twine mind you. I immediately pulled out my collection and compared. No surprise, Divine Twine is so much brighter, even then the stuff I purchased from Etsy.

*sigh* It's ok, no one but me will know the difference.

3600 yards = 2.045 miles

1 comment:

  1. Yay, those are our invites you're referring to! But sorry they caused a sigh. :( Will the orange spool make you feel better? Bright twine for your cupcakes!? :)

    ReplyDelete