Monday, October 1, 2012

A train and a tranny

Holy. Wow. Where does time go? I have already been on vacation for 2 weeks, but it feels like I haven't stopped running around. Perhaps, that has something to do with my mom handing me a laundry list of things to do when I got home?

Well, I'm finally getting around to all those updates I am behind on. So funny story. Jake had to work today, as do all of our friends. We only live 20-30 minutes from the airport, but that equates to a $45+ cab ride. I was not keen on having to shell out monies, so I decided to go the cheap (but long ~1 hour) route and take public transportation. We live smack dab in the middle of two commuter rail stops. But wouldn't you know it, the commuter rail only stops at 2pm or and 4pm on the weekdays to pick up passengers headed into the city. Since my flight leaves at 6:30pm, I didn't want to risk it and was going to take the 2pm train. 

I missed it by 2 minutes. I had ran out of my apartment, dragging my bags the 1.1 miles to the train station, not stopping to take in the crisp and colorful leaves that had fallen, not stopping to take a photo of beautiful New England Fall. (Ugh, so mad that I didn't, so many gorgeous scenes.) On the way there, I heard the train go by and started to whimper. But I tried to think positively and tell myself that perhaps, that was the outbound train. No such luck. So I sat there, hot, sweaty, sticky, and stinky. I sulked. And then I sulked some more while eating my cold McChicken sandwhich (don't judge, it's what happens when you are only home for 48 hours and barely had time to unpack and repack).

I didn't want to risk being late for my flight (I'm sure the 4pm train would have been fine since I only have carry-ons), so plan B was to cab it to the airport. Miraculously, a tranny (at least I think she was) appeared looking all confused. We struck up conversation and as it turns out, she was also headed to the airport. Maybe the 2 large suitcases gave it away. Anyways, I asked if she was willing to split a cab to the airport. She agreed and off we went. Unfortunately, she picked a bad cabby that charged us a ton of extras (who still charges a fee for credit cards, isn't that all built in? and who still uses carbon paper to imprint images of credit card numbers? Lord, I hope my card number doesn't get stolen while I'm out of the country).

So here in the International terminal of Logan, I sit, waiting for my flight. I'm thankful that I'm here with plenty of time to spare and sweating balls somewhere else. I'll just have to shower as soon as we check into our flat. 

Oh, wish me luck. I have tried to pack light - 2 weeks living out of a carry-on AND without my hair straightener. See that bag on top? It's all of my electronics! Damn me and my photography hobby. That's not even all of it! I left my external flash behind. Let's hope that I don't need it during my trip.

Traveling light. Instagram @hungc

Cheerio Boston, I'll see you in two weeks. 
Boston skyline from the skybridge between terminals A and E at Logan International.
Instagram @hungc

No comments:

Post a Comment