Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Impromptu Vacation - Ogunquit, ME: Preface

Before I launch into the fun details about our weekend getaway, I wanted to share some background information. Not sure how pertinent it really is, but I want to capture it so that we don't forget this moment, oh let' say, 20 years down the road.

Every winter since we started dating, Jake and I escape the harsh New England winter. On our first trip, we visited Aruba. Last year we jetted to St. Lucia. This year there was no trip to be planned. You see, between the million and one weddings scattered across the country (world, as it turns out), I just didn't have enough vacation time. Money of course is also a factor. So we just sucked it up and agreed that a tropical vacation was not in the cards *giant sad face goes here*.

The last couple weeks (potentially months) have been rough at work for me. It got to the point where I almost inflicted pain on my boss not once, but multiple times in one day. I finally had enough and needed a break. Generally, I like to think that I handle stress fairly well. But in this case, it got pretty bad, so bad that anything wedding related exacerbated my stress levels. I couldn't bear to even look at a single wedding blog (and I follow approximately 20 of them). I took two days off at the last minute. My plan was to just get away, clear my head, and recharge my batteries. But I realized that WE needed to get away. WE needed a vacation together.

So at the last possible minute (we're talking the night before), I booked the only ocean view room left at Ogunquit. It must have been meant to be, because when I emailed the Beachmere Inn Wednesday morning, they didn't have any ocean front rooms available. When I called at 7pm there was an opening! Someone had called an canceled at 3:30pm! Ocean front room complete with private deck + 80 F weather, the stage was set.

(Personal Photo - we stayed in the victorian building in the middle.)

Previously:

No comments:

Post a Comment