Saturday, March 20, 2010

Two Dress Bride

For a traditional Chinese wedding, the bride has multiple costume changes. There's the tea ceremony dress (kwa), the church ceremony dress, the traditional Chinese long dress (cheongsam or qipao), multiple cocktail dresses during the reception, and of course the send-off outfit. Back in the olden days, wealthy brides would change up to 30 times! Modern brides change 2-4 times; usually it's the white dress and the cheongsam (for the tea ceremony or part of the reception). If you ask me, more outfits equal more money. 

Until recently, I'd never been able to make up my mind about whether I'd be a one or two dress bride. I would always ask myself: Why would I want to take off the white dress? How much money is the Chinese one going to cost me? Do I really need two? The answer is yes, I want both. But here's the catch, I don't like the kwa or the cheongsam. The kwa is heavily embroidered and beaded. I imagine it to be pretty heavy and would get hot wearing it, especially if we're having an outdoor wedding in August. The cheongsam is meant to hug your curves (for those that have curves). I've never been one for super fitted clothes. I would also have a terrible time trying to walk in it. While the dress has either one or two slits up the skirt to aid in movement, I'd probably still fall flat on my face.

Left: Kwa. Right: Qi Pao or Cheongsam.

So what's a girl to do? Any guesses? Come closer and I'll tell you. A little bit closer...closer...OK that's close enough. I'm going to have mine altered to the way I like things. I know, I know, custom made usually means $$$. My friend's mom is a seamstress/dressmaker (she made his sisters wedding gown which was assessed at 20K!) and is excited about the idea. I'm hoping she'll give me the friends and family discount. I've been struggling with the design. I'm no fashion designer, but none of the ideas in my head were working. Then I saw three pictures yesterday and instantly I knew exactly what I wanted.

Left: Sarah K Chen. Top Right: Laura Ivanova. Bottom Right: Michele M Waite.

1 comment:

  1. OHMYGOD. lol we are SO on the same wavelength. This bride writes masonjarbride.blogspot.com, the blog I emailed to you and Amanda last week. I loved her dress too! She actually sold it on OnceWed.com and it was actually a Vineyard dress! p.s. sold for $950! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete