Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Dear Boston Logan TSA bag inspection agent

An open letter to the TSA agent at Boston Logan that inspected my bag on 3/23/2015 between 3:30pm and 5:15pm.


Dear Boston Logan TSA bag inspection agent, 

First of all, I'd like to thank you. Thank you for inspecting bags and keeping flights safe. 

Now I understand you have a lot of bags to inspect. And I assume that you don't have much time to inspect them. I'm a realist and have zero expectation that you will place things back exactly the way you found them. Ain't nobody got time for that shit. I've had my bags searched plenty of times. It's not a big deal. But this time, it was different.

When I picked up my bag from baggage claim at my arrival destination, I was dumbfounded and angry. You didn't even give me the courtesy of zipping my bag completely closed. Were you having a bad day or something? Did you want someone to share your bad day with? (You can't blame this on someone else. I flew direct from Boston to Portland. It only makes sense that my bag was inspected preboarding at Boston Logan.)

You left the bottom of my bag unzipped. Not only was the internal luggage straps hanging out, but half of one of my necklaces was dangling from the opening. A necklace that I carefully packed in bubble wrap and placed in a foam shell in order to protect all the stones. Which was all put inside a camera bag along with the rest of my jewelry and other odds and ends.  

When I opened my bag, I found that you had dumped half my jewelry out. The felt bag I had carefully placed my watch in was empty. I found my watch in the bottom corner of my bag dangerously close to the open zipper. Items were strewn across my bag haphazardly. I don't even know how you managed to remove the backing to one of my stud earrings. Luckily, I found all the parts floating in my camera bag, along with my bracelets that had been dumped rudely from their protective cloth bags.

Really?!?! You couldn't have thrown it all back into the camera bag from which you extruded it from? I'd be less pissed if you had at given me that courtesy. Just in case you are wondering, my necklace is now marred. You managed to chip one of my stones. Trust me, it wasn't like that before. Thanks. Thanks a lot buddy. 

Now lets move on to the missing items. Yes, items with an "s." Where are my glasses? My prescription glasses? Those were also in the camera bag. Seriously, why are they not at least somewhere in my suitcase?!?!?!?!!?!?!?! I've had those for 8 years and you manage to lose them for me. Thanks. Not like I need to see or anything. Maybe you needed new glasses and can't afford new ones? But I'm pretty sure your health insurance covers you well. And I'm pretty sure my prescription won't help you.

And where is my backpack? My $100 Northface backpack? It was right on top of all the other items in my bag. It would have been the first thing you would have seen upon opening my bag. Perhaps your kid needs a new bag for school. There are other ways of acquiring one. Maybe you thought my bag was over packed (it was pretty full, I'll admit) and you didn't want to exert the energy to get it back in. If I can get it in the bag, it wasn't too much. My backpack was mostly empty. But I never went through the pockets, so I don't even know if you took something of value. I needed that bag buddy. I was planning to use it for my trip to the Grand Canyon. It would have been handy for things like my camera gear, water, granola bars, SPF. But you decided that I didn't need it. Thanks. 

People like you give TSA agents a bad rap. You won't have to deal with the repercussions of your actions. If you were trying to make someone have a bad day, well, congratulations you succeeded. You single handedly started off my trip on a bad note. 

Thanks so much for not respecting my things, 
Celia

No comments:

Post a Comment